Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Carry on My Wayward Son

For those of you who are friends with me on Facebook or follow me on Twitter, then you know that I am a fan of the TV show Supernatural. Let me rephrase that, I am a member of the Supernatural fandom and have pretty much dedicated my life to this show. I'll give you the backstory of how I got into it and why I'm even blogging about it. 

Two, quite possibly three years ago in January my best friend Kelley asked if I had heard of a show, Supernatural. I said that it sounded vaguely familiar but I had never seen an episode. She told me that I had to start watching. So naturally I started watching it on Netflix. And my god was that the day my life changed forever. I don't know if any of y'all watch the show, but the phrase that starts one's obsession is "Dad went on a hunting trip and he hasn't been back in a few days," said by the ever-so-sexy Dean Winchester played by Jensen Ackles to his brother Sam, played by the even-sexier Jared Padalecki. Both men hail from the great state of Texas just as an FYI. Hook em' horns! But the line is infamous in the Supernatural community. That's what got me hooked. I should give y'all a quick summary of the show:

Sam and Dean are brothers. Their father, John, who is the world's biggest asshole is a hunter. And no not a camo-wearing-mud-slinging-pickup-truck hunter. He hunts monsters, demons, ghosts, pretty much any 'supernatural' creature. Sam and Dean follow in his footsteps. So their mom burned on a ceiling when Sam was 6 months old and they finally hunt down the demon who was responsible and kill him. Then there's this whole Heaven vs. Hell theme and basically Sam is Lucifer's vessel and it's complicated. Their half brother Adam has been in 'the cage' aka Hell for 1664 days and the fandom is obsessed with getting him out. Currently Dean has the Mark of Cain and it's complicated. There's demons, angels, salt, burning, demon traps, and a black 67' Chevy Impala. But it's such a damn good show.

Now you may be wondering to yourself, "why the heck is she explaining this show to us? it seems horrible!" But trust me, it's not. It's probably the greatest show I have ever watched. And why you may ask. Because it's centered on family, loyalty, life, death, resurrection, and most importantly, redemption. Jim Beaver's character Bobby says in an episode, "Blood don't end with family boy." And he's sure as hell right. Blood doesn't always mean you're family. You can have friends that you consider family or blood related family members who you don't consider family. It could go either way. But my point is, life lessons are taught in this show. The Winchester boys taught me to never give up even when I want too, family is the most important thing, don't be ashamed of who you are, and always salt and burn the body after murder...(I'm joking about the last one...). But seriously Sam and Dean are just simply amazing. The show has literally saved lives. It's brought people together to create the biggest fandom. Misha Collins who plays an angel, Cas, refers to us (the fandom) as a cult. And sadly it's true. We're pretty dedicated. 

Fan dedication may scare some actors who portray fictional characters, but Jared and Jensen embrace it. When reporters try to get them to bash us, they'll defend us. And they should. We've kept them on TV for 10 years. But in all seriousness they appreciate their fans more than any other actors out there. And I really am not being biased here. I'm simply being honest. But why does this all matter? Why am I blogging about this when I should probably be studying for finals? 

Because this show and these actors changed my life. It may sound silly or dumb, but I'm being serious. I don't know how to describe it, but seriously they changed my life. I am a member of the greatest fandom of all time, and I spend all of my free time blogging on Tumblr about Supernatural. Sam and Dean showed me that your life is worth living and making every day count. Supernatural is literally one of the most important things in my life, behind my family, friends, and the big man upstairs. I'm writing this because I don't want to feel judged when I talk about the show or actors or characters. I know this show like the back of my hand, so excuse me if I want to talk about it. Sam and Dean Winchester, Bobby Singer, and Cas saved me. They gave me hope. 

So I will continue to wear my devil trap emblazoned scarf with pride. When my Supernatural 'hobo bag' arrives, I will use that with pride. People laugh and joke that TV shows can't change lives.

I beg to differ.  

No comments:

Post a Comment