Tuesday, December 2, 2014

"Don't make me get my gun boy"

A while back, I wrote a post about my Supernatural scarf with it's devils traps and angel symbols and how some old lady gave me a hard time about it. I wear it quite frequently actually, with no shame whatsoever. But today was different. 

I wore it to Harris Teeter (a grocery store-equivalent to Jewel). I was minding my own business, standing in line ready to check out, when a girl of about 10 years old told me she liked my scarf. I said thanks and went back to listening to my music. But her mother gave me this horrified look like I worship Satan or something and pulled her away and moved to another line. Now normally I could care less about something like this, but seriously was it necessary to move your child away from me? I think not. Even if I did worship Satan, which I do not, it's not like I'd try summoning him while at the grocery store. It just really pissed me off that she overdramatized the whole situation. Like good god you're child complimented me. Get. Over. It. 

Sorry for the rant, but my point is we shouldn't automatically judge people. So I wear a scarf based on a TV show that is like my life. I'm also a college student, and we're crazy as it is. Don't judge someone without knowing their story. That lady didn't know that Supernatural has affected my life so much. She doesn't know that because of the show, I found solace after my grandpa's death because I read Jim Beaver's book, Life's That Way and related to his situation. She doesn't know that Jensen Ackles made me cry after watching him tear up when a fan said he was Oscar-worthy. She doesn't know that Jared Padalecki's smile makes me die inside. She doesn't know that the Supernatural fandom is like my second family. She knows none of this. She made an assumption. And as a society we need to stop doing that.  

I'm tired of being judged. So I wear a devil trap/angel symbol emblazoned scarf. How does that affect YOUR life? Oh that's right, it doesn't. 

So I may not be the ideal weight by society's standards or my doctors, but does that affect you? NO! 

I dye my hair. Does that affect you? Nope.

I don't wear fancy clothes like GAP or Abercrombie or Hollister or whatever the hell is popular these days. Does that affect you? Oh no you say. Shocking. 

I am sick of society's standards for women and men. We're not all going to weigh 120 pounds, have blonde hair, blue eyes, a dazzling, white smile, or even have the perfect house with an expensive car. My god we are all going to be different. You wanna know why? Because that's the way God created us. And if you don't want to read about God or religion, than see-ya! Nice knowing ya. But seriously, God doesn't want all of us to be the same. That's why we're all different. He wants us to not conform to society. Screw it. I sure as hell am not going to conform to society's standards. 

I will eat real food, wear a t-shirt and jeans with my devils trap emblazoned scarf of course and continue watching Supernatural and listen to country music. I will continue to be myself. The one that God created. 

I do apologize for the rant, but I'm being serious guys. I am sick of people judging one another. Be nice to each other. You never know someone's back story. A smile or kind gesture could make their entire day, not some snarky remark about being a Satan worshiper, which I am not, obviously. 

I will leave you all with this for the night. Peace. 

P.S. The title is a quote from Supernatural spoken by the one and only Bobby Singer. It seemed fitting since I talked about Supernatural and well I won't explain the rest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment